Class 1 MELT Course in Calgary
Alright, so let’s chat about the MELT program in Calgary for truck driving in Alberta. MELT stands for Mandatory Entry-Level Training, and it’s a big deal in the world of trucking, especially in Alberta. It is a requirement for truck driving in Alberta with a Class 1 licence. Derek Brown’s Academy of Driving offers our Calgary MELT course at a fair price with expert instructors that will get you on the road fast with the expertise necessary to be a confident truck driver while staying safe on the road.
Picture this: Alberta’s roads are busy with trucks hauling goods across the province and beyond. With such heavy traffic, safety is a top priority. That’s where MELT comes in.
Think of MELT as the golden ticket for aspiring truck drivers. It’s like the driving school for truckers, but way more intensive. The program ensures that every new truck driver hitting the Alberta highways has the skills and knowledge to handle the big rigs safely.
Here is what our Calgary MELT Course Involves:
- Air brake course (The course runs Saturdays and Thursdays 8:30 am to 5:30 pm)
- 40.5 Hours of class room instruction (5 Weekdays 8:00 am to 5:00 pm)
- 39 hours of driving with an instructor (Monday through Friday 8 am to 6 pm for 2 hours a day)
- 15.5 hours of pre-trip yard training
- 18 hours of off-road parking training
- Medical exam (if using referral doctor)
- Includes truck rental for test
So, what’s in it for the students? Well, MELT isn’t just about sitting behind the wheel and cruising down the road. It’s a comprehensive training program that covers everything from vehicle inspections to defensive driving techniques.
First off, students dive deep into the nitty-gritty of truck maintenance and safety checks. They learn how to inspect every nook and cranny of their rigs, making sure everything’s in top shape before hitting the road.
Topics Covered in our Calgary MELT Course
Here are the topics covered:
- Employment in the Trucking Industry & Vehicle Components and Systems
- Basic Driving Techniques
- Professional driving habits
- Off Road Tasks and Maneuvers
- Documents, Paperwork and Regulatory Requirements & Vehicle Inspection Activities
- Hours of Service Compliance & Cargo Securement and loss Prevention
- Handling Emergencies
Then comes the fun part—hitting the road! But hold your horses, it’s not just about putting the pedal to the metal. MELT instructors teach students the ins and outs of handling those massive trucks in all sorts of conditions, from sunny days to snowstorms.
But safety isn’t just about handling the truck—it’s also about understanding the rules of the road and keeping a cool head in tricky situations. MELT covers the Alberta traffic laws and regulations, ensuring that drivers know the dos and don’ts of the road.
With a total coursework hours of 121.5 hours, once students complete the MELT program, they’re not just drivers—they’re certified professionals ready to tackle the challenges of the Alberta highways with skill and confidence. And that’s what makes our Calgary MELT course such a game-changer for truck driving in Calgary, in Alberta and wherever your work takes you.